Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Really Creamy Fettucine Alfredo with Veggies


Tonight's recipe is a hybrid. The homemade alfredo sauce was found on allrecipes.com. I got all the stuff to make it, and then I was watching some 30-Minute Meals, and my dear Rachael made a fantastic fettucine alfredo pasta mixed with zucchini, asparagus, and green beans. So that's how we got tonight's delectible feast!


INGREDIENTS:

-8 oz. fettucine pasta

-1 8oz. package of cream cheese

-3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

-1/2 cup margarine

-1/2 cup milk

-1 tsp garlic powder

-1/4 tsp dried basil

-1 pinch ground nutmeg

-half bundle of asparagus

-1 zucchini

-a handful-ish of fresh green beans


DIRECTIONS:

-Chop up the asparagus, green beans, and zucchini into bite sized pieces. Set those aside for now.

-Bring large pot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook for about 5 minutes. At this point, add the veggies to the pot. Cook the pasta the rest of the way through (another 5 mins or so) in the pot with the veggies. Drain.

-While the pasta is cooking...in a medium saucepan, combine cream cheese, Parmesan, margarine, milk, garlic powder, and basil, and stire over low heat until smooth and creamy (10-15 minutes).

-Toss the sauce in with the pasta/veggies until the sauce covers it all. Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve.


COMMENTS:

-Being an alfredo fan, I was overly impressed with myself for making this sauce. I will NEVER buy jarred sauce again. This stuff is so good. Though I will warn you that when you first see all that cream cheese/butter/Parmesan in a pot, all you can think is...clogged arteries, here I come!

-The veggies were really tasty with the pasta. Just a hint: you may want to throw the zucchini in to the pot about a minute after the green beans and asparagus. Those two veggies were cooked perfect, but the zucchini was just a tad overcooked.

-I forgot the nutmeg. Not sure quite how much that would have added to the dish but...what can I say, I live on the edge. :)

No comments: