Thursday, January 3, 2008

Pork Loin Chops with Sweet and Hot Peppers


Apologies for the long absence! The holidays and all the craziness leading up to it led to a lack of cooking (and an abundance of trips to Subway). But, we're home again from our fun travels, so I'll lay a new recipe on ya. This one's from Rachael's Get Real Meals book, which Ro inspired me to look into.

INGREDIENTS:

-4 center cut pork loin chops, 1 inch thick

-Salt and pepper

-2 tbsp EVOO

-1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced

-1 orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced

-4 jarred red hot Italian cherry peppers, sliced

1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock

-2 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (a handful)

DIRECTIONS:

-Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chops with salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp of the EVOO to the pan. Add the chops and cook for 5 minutes on each side.

-After the chops have been cooked through, transfer to a platter and cover with foil. Return the pan to heat and add the remaining tbsp of EVOO and the bell peppers. Saute the peppers, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.

-Add the hot cherry peppers and a splash of their brine to the pan, and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine or stock and scrape up the pan drippings. Arrange the peppers over the chops and sprinkle with parsley.

COMMENTS:

-First, I think Rachael is a big liar about her cooking times. I definitely was cooking longer than 10 minutes. In fact, I had a whole phone conversation with Colleen in the time I cooked the pork and the peppers.

-I used raw red Italian peppers, not jarred ones. So instead of only cooking them for a minute, I sauteed them with the rest of the peppers. Still good!

-Silly me only made 2 pork chops, but didn't divide the rest of the recipe. So I had a plethora of peppers/parsley available. (To be specific, I only used 1 yellow pepper, 1 orange, 4 small Italian peppers, and way less than a handful of parsley.) Make sure you use fewer veggies if only making it for 2!

-Overall, reactions were favorable. The spice from the red peppers was really good, I loved it. And Craig mopped his plate clean (though that may have been because I asked him to do dishes after). :)

1 comment:

Craig Lamb Ph.D. said...

The peppers were PERFECT!!!! The meal was great! I think I can finally eat pork again!