Thursday, October 25, 2007

Huevos Rancheros

Good evening all! Well, tonight's meal was inspired by my kitchen idol, Rachael Ray. (Who, I might add, I get to see IN PERSON in T-minus 14 days.) She did a variation of this huevos rancheros meal on 30-Minute Meals. I honestly don't remember how she did it, but this is my adaptation...I've been making it for a few months now and it's one of Craig's faves. Sorry the measurements aren't very exact, I do a lot of guesstimating on this one.

INGREDIENTS:
4 eggs
2 soft tortillas
1 can navy beans
2 tsp hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot, etc.)
A little bit of chili powder
Salsa
Taco cheese (shredded)
Taco sauce
1 green pepper, cut into small bits
Salt
Pepper

DIRECTIONS:
-Spray a small skillet with cooking spray. Cook the navy beans in the skillet with the hot sauce and chili powder, and stir. I usually let these simmer on medium heat while I'm making the rest of the meal.

-Spray a larger skillet with cooking spray, and break the 4 eggs into the skillet. Put on salt/pepper as desired. Let the eggs cook, on medium heat, most of the way through, then flip them over. (Try not to break the yolks like I always do!)

-With the heat still on, put some of the taco cheese and salsa (as desired, though usually 1 tsp of salsa per egg does the trick) on top of each egg. Let the cheese melt a little before turning the heat off.

-Give the beans one last stir, then turn the heat off those too.

-Put a tortilla on each plate. On each tortilla, scoop about half the bean mixture. Then place 2 of the eggs on top of each pile of beans. Cover with more taco cheese and taco sauce, as desired. We put the green pepper on at the end, but you could probably also put them on while the eggs are cooking too.

-Eat up!

COMMENTS:
-There is really nothing healthy about this meal. Just wanted to warn you.

-Rachael Ray calls for navy beans in this recipe, but we actually found these awesome beans that are way better. They're called Kuner's Southwestern Jalapeno Black Beans. They come with a bunch of spices mixed in already, and pieces of jalapeno. We still put the hot sauce/chili powder in with them, and they taste awesome. If you can find them in your grocery store, I highly recommend this substitution!

-This is a really fast meal! Which means, I love it.

Happy cooking!

2 comments:

Craig Lamb Ph.D. said...

One of my personal fav's! You are doing great!!!!!!!!!

Mum said...

It sounds yummy. I don't care if it's not healthy!