Saturday, February 2, 2008

Cari's Chili

Today Craig and I felt like some comfort food, because it's yucky and icy here in Albany. So I went through my bridal shower recipes again and came up with Cari's chili recipe. Good stuff! I've never made chili before and Craig was interested (read: scared) when I said I would try it, so here we go...

INGREDIENTS:

-1 lb. ground beef

-salt and pepper

-chili powder

-1 onion

-1 can of kidney beans

-2 8oz. cans of tomato sauce

-ditalini or rice (about 3 servings)

-cheese (grated or shredded)


DIRECTIONS:

-Brown the ground beef with the chopped up onion. Drain the grease from the pan.

-Add the kidney beans and tomato sauce. With each can of tomato sauce, add half a can of water.

-Add salt, epper, and chili powder to taste. (For me, this was a lot of chili powder.) Let simmer for about 1 hour on medium heat.

-When the chili is almost done, cook the ditalinis or rice. Once the chili is done, add the rice to the chili and stir. Serve with the cheese on top.


COMMENTS:

-So GOOD! We really liked this version of the ever-changing chili. I did end up adding a little bit of Frank's Red Hot as well, for some added kick.

-We skipped the onions as usual, but it was still very flavorful without.

-As for the cheese, we used a taco cheese mixture, but Craig said he thought regular cheddar cheese might be good to try next time.

-We ate up with a loaf of fresh Italian bread, and some glasses of beer. Yummmm. :)

Everybody watch out, I'm baking (yes, BAKING) tonight for the Super Bowl tomorrow. I'll let you know how this goes...GO GIANTS!

2 comments:

Craig Lamb Ph.D. said...

This was REALLLLLLLLY good, and simple to make. Well done Ms Lamb!!!

lovepink said...

Soooo happy to see the chili on your blog!!! Way to go KB with perfecting the chili so soon--it took me two times to get it to the right thickness!! YAY!!